Tuesday, September 9, 2008

past work



At the moment my concentration is Drawing and the only "upper level" courses I've had for drawing are this one and drawing two if that counts. My pastel work in drawing two turned out ok, though I still would like to keep working on color use because I feel I still have more to learn. My first piece, the pastel still life project, doesn't have much self expression because it was purely an exercise working with color.

The project with the pine tree we had more freedom. We had to choose one subject and take pictures of it in warm and cool lighting, then use toned paper to recreate the photo. I picked a pine tree because of its innately cool color. I wanted to explore how to make the colors warm without making it unrealistic. It was more difficult than I had expected and turned out to be a patience tester, but also a learning experience.

My life drawing one piece was done near the end of the semester. I see the progress made in my figures and am shocked. When I started life drawing one I would have struggled for hours on perspective and understanding proportion. In this drawing there are few erase lines and I'm happy with the confidence in the lines.

3 comments:

Xai With Glasses said...

Your art images seem to have it's own characters of subtle and light. Good use of color mixing to create a real sense of light in your rock drawings. Your images also show that you have precise drawing skills. I think for you, it is now a matter of creating works of your own that express yourself, if not already, or something like most artist would say, "something that has never been done before." Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

your life drawing picture was amazing. i enjoy how there are moments where it is very detailed, the face, and then there are moments where it is just implied, the hand. i find the piece to be well rendered lead the viewer in to see strong confident lines and great line variation. if i had my had on, it would be tipped.

x|-|awj said...

You have great and beautiful drawing skills. The coloring of the lighting is also very realistic and natural. I like to see how would you push yourself in the future.i