Thursday, February 4, 2010

Art Lessons

I think the thought of the artist as being someone "who does everything as best they can" is silly. No one can actually measure someone's "best." The definition is so soft and general it doesn't mean anything. But I did enjoy hearing the history of the word vocation and seeing how it was brought out into al walks of life. But she mentioned that if every artists viewed what they do as a vocation art would be "new." I most artists in our world view what they do as a vocation they are passionate about, so I don't think it's something to change, rather encourage.

I agree with feeding our art with cultural research. That's where we can find inspiration and questions to go off of, whether it's cultural theory, tradition, or style. I always need reminding about the material persistence. If I can't use it well right away I don't want to try again, but I can get good at it if I practice, just like almost everything else in life.

Overall I have a difficult time connecting with the author as well. I read a few chapters of this book in Senior Seminar last semester and found it difficult to write a paper on it. Her personal experiences don't connect with me, and I feel she presents herself in an arrogant sort of way. I admire confidence, but find conceit distasteful.

No comments: